WhatsApp, the Facebook-owned messaging service officially rolled out ‘WhatsApp Business’ yesterday, with business-specific profiles and an android mobile app for marketers to manage their WhatsApp business accounts.
According to the company blog, WhatsApp Business has been made available for free to download on Google Play for businesses in Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, the U.K. and the U.S., only for now. But, the app is rolling out around the world in the coming weeks – which is good news as it gives time for brands to prep on to how to use this platform which marketers were longing for.
WhatsApp business opens a whole new avenue for brands and marketers to communicate quickly with its consumers’ on-the-go and it comes with capabilities like –
- Creating Business profiles with details like the websites address, email id, store location, business timing and description.
- Business Account Type which would distinguish personal and brand accounts for consumers to know who are they interacting with.
- Messaging tools for greeting and away messages to greet consumers and help them know if the brand is closed/ busy and there would a be delay in response, and quick replies to frequently asked questions.
- Marketers would be able to use WhatsApp web to send and receive messages for their business account.
- And, the most important of all ‘Analytics’. But, unfortunately, WhatsApp business at present provides extremely basic metrics number of messages sent, delivered, read and received.
At present, it seems to be very basic as misses on features like chatbots which is available on Facebook Messenger or for that matter advanced analytics that helps marketers understand more about its consumers’ behavior.
Even WhatsApp Business has not been launched for iOS and there was no mention of it or the timelines on its company blog.
WhatsApp Business is a game changer for quick communications especially for a lot of B2B businesses and small & medium consumer businesses. So, let’s be hopeful the iOS version and various other advanced functionalities would be rolled out soon.